Now at the end of the first quarter of the year (how time flies!) I think it would be a good idea to hold myself to account and review how I’ve been getting on with those goals.
I know it’s not good before I even start….but here goes.
I divided my goals into three categories: Blog, Home & Family and Me.
• Grow blog traffic. – Not much. In January my page views more than doubled compared to the previous month, but in February and March they dropped again, most likely due to inconsistent posting.
• Plan blog posts for the year. – Yes, I have made a plan for the year for 4 or 5 posts each month. Just need to stick to it!
• Make and stick to a weekly schedule, batching blog and social media tasks. – Fail. I need make a schedule, I just didn’t stick to it very much.
• Post once a week, consistently, and schedule posts in advance. – I managed to post once a week in January, but then couldn’t keep up the same pace in subsequent months. I was never able to have posts ready and scheduled in advance but I think this is the key.
• Grow list of email subscribers by 10 per month. – I think I’ve gained four so far this year! Must try harder.
• Create two freebies per month as incentive for new subscribers. – I didn’t do this. Too busy trying to keep up with writing posts.
• Write monthly email newsletter. – Only now have I just sent my first newsletter to the two subscribers who signed up for it. And it was so much work, for just two people to maybe read it!
• Start my expat guest post series. – Yes, I launched the series at the end of March - Stories from Life Abroad - and have several guest posts to keep in going over the next few months.
• Focus on Pinterest: schedule time each day to pin and join group boards. – I haven’t given it enough time. I’ve joined a few group boards, but haven’t stuck to a regular pinning schedule. Must put more time into it.
Home & Family
• Meal planning: create epic meal plan for the whole month which can just repeat with variations each month. – Failed completely to plan most of the time. Think I need to start with a week at a time and build up. Again, I need to invest time in planning and researching more recipes.
• Declutter. – I have made a good start on this these Easter holidays, organizing documents and throwing out old papers we don’t need any more, organizing Emma’s clothes and purging clothes that are too small. I also got rid of quite a few clothes in my own wardrobe that I haven’t worn in years and will never wear. Just need to tackle all the toys now!
• Learn to drive. – No.
• Go to the dentist. – No.
• Practice yoga three days a week. – I have continued doing yoga but not as often as three times a week.
• Get regular haircuts. – No, I’m now overdue a haircut, I haven’t had one since December.
• Put myself first sometimes – self care. – Sometimes. I have bought a few things for myself.
• Read a book for 20 minutes each night. – Total fail. I think a different time of day would work better.
Time to re-focus.
My goals for the next quarter, from here to the beginning of July are as follows:
1. Make and stick to a weekly schedule. Batch tasks where possible.
2. Post once a week. Stay ahead and schedule posts in advance so I'm not always trying to catch up.
3. Write one guest post per month or month and a half.
4. Focus on Pinterest, spend 15 minutes 5 days per week to pin.
5. Schedule/ plan social media posts on a weekly basis.
6. Grow email list by 10 new subscribers per month: create one freebie each month. Create sign-up forms with opt-in freebies.
Home & Family
1. Meal plan on a weekly basis, building up to a monthly plan.
2. Continue to de-clutter as much as possible and organise toys, clothes, books and documents. Keep them organised.
1. Practise yoga 3 days a week.
2. Make time during the week to read, not necessarily at night. Put a book in my bag – you never know when you might get a moment to read while out.
3. Go to the dentist by the end of April.
4. Get a haircut this week!
5. Start re-learning to drive at the beginning of July (when our summer holidays start)
I've tried to keep my goals SMART; Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant/Realistic and Time-limited. I think this way I'll find it easier to stick to them. I'll check in again at the end of the second quarter - hopefully I'll have achieved more by then.
Important Note: Put my goals somewhere visible so I can see them every day!
How about you? Did you set goals for this year? If so, have you managed to keep up with them? Do you think it helps to make SMART goals? Let me know in the comments below.
I hope we can all stay focused and achieve our goals! Don't give up!